Saturday, January 19, 2013

When Mama starts talking to her sister in Brooklyn, it can go on for hours and hours...

Check out these Mama Movie images:

When Mama starts talking to her sister in Brooklyn, it can go on for hours and hours…

Mama Movie

Image by Ed Yourdon
Note: this photo was published in an undated (Dec 25, 2010) Everyblock NYC zipcodes blog titled "10020."

***************************

As I wrote when I visited Rockefeller Center a year ago, it’s a well known phenomenon that most people never bother to visit the famous landmarks and tourist attractions in their own city. God only knows how many Parisians have never visited the Louvre, and how many Londoners have never been inside Buckingham Palace. Many Washingtonians would probably have to admit that they’ve never been on the White House tour, and I can only guess at the number of New Yorkers who have never been to the top of the Empire State Building.

When we do visit such landmarks, it’s often because a visiting relative insists on seeing it; or sometimes guilt will force us to drag our young children to see the sights, because "everyone should see the XYZ building as part of their education." That probably explains why I can actually say that I’ve been to the Statue of Liberty (though it was more than 35 years ago), why I’ve been to the 102nd floor of the Empire State Building, and why I dined at Windows on the World in the days before 9-11. I even spent one miserable New Year’s Eve in Times Square, along with a million other screaming revelers — which most New Yorkers would tell you is something only wide-eyed tourists and drunken teenagers from New Jersey would want to experience.

But despite all the tourist attractions I can say that I’ve been to in New York (Yankee Stadium, the Bronx Zoo, and so on), I have to admit that I’ve only been to Rockefeller Center once during the Christmas season — as documented in this this Flickr set. I’ve watched the annual tree-lighting ceremony on television numerous times, but have had no interest in standing in the bitter cold with a gazillion tourists as the tree is hoisted and lit. Nor have I had any interest in visiting during the final days leading up to the Christmas holiday itself …

As I did last year, I skipped the tree-lighting ceremony this year — but since I did come down here a year ago to take some photos, I thought it might be worth returning once again. Why? Because I thought the ice-skating rink would once again be a scene of dazzling color, stylish fashions, and great displays of athletic prowess on the ice. Unfortunately, that only seems to be true in Hollywood movies; like last year, what I saw was mostly a bunch of klutzy skaters and children sprawled out on the ice when they tripped and fell. There were a few attractive people, but no dazzling beauties; and the outfits were generally fairly dull and uninteresting. The only improvement this year was a rotund Santa Claus, who was friendly enough to cuddle up to several couples and family groups for some tourist photos.

I did manage to get a few interesting photos of skaters and local scenery, and I dutifully captured a vertical shot of the enormous Christmas tree. But after that, I fell back on my most favorite activity: photographing the "ordinary" people who milled around the square-block center, most of them observing the skaters and the overall scene. Almost all were tourists and visitors, and the Tower-of-Babel collection of dialects and languages made it clear that quite a few were international visitors, many with children in tow.

The other difference between this year and last year is that I shot videos as well as still shots; I’m still organizing the videos, and they will eventually be combined with some other videos taken during this week before Christmas. Meanwhile, though, I hope you’ll enjoy these still photos of the Christmas scene at Rockefeller Center…

movie with mama

Mama Movie

Image by dolanh

I screamed, Mama attacked

Mama Movie

Image by m kasahara
It’s in her nature. That possum showed up out of nowhere like something out of an M. Night Shyamalan movie and freaked me out and I started my high-pitched "eee"-ing, and Mama has never heard that.


Countinue------>>When Mama starts talking to her sister in Brooklyn, it can go on for hours and hours...
♥ CONSIDER SHARING THIS POST WITH YOUR FRIENDS IF YOU LIKE IT ♥
Facebook Twitter StumbleUpon Digg Delicious Reddit Technorati Mixx Linkedin
[Get this Widget]

0 comments:

Post a Comment